- This event has passed.
AARP Smart Drivers Course
April 17 @ 8:15 am - 3:00 pm
AARP Smart Driver is the nation’s first and largest driver safety course designed especially for driver’s age 50+. The course is intended to help drivers live more independently as they age and remain safe on today’s roads.
On Tuesday April 17th, from 8:15 AM-3:00 PM we will be offering the AARP Smart Drivers class at White Birch Center for Active Living. This class is open to the public, however class size is limited to 15 participants. We request that you arrive 15 minutes early to complete registration and provide payment. Cost for the class is $15 for AARP members (you must show your AARP card) and $20 for non-members.
A light lunch, such as pizza, will be provided by White Birch or bring your own. There will not be time to go out for lunch. Registration is required, to register please call 428-3077.
AARP Smart Driver Course Objectives:
The AARP Smart Driver Course covers defensive driving techniques and the normal changes in vision, hearing, and reaction time associated with aging. The course also provides practical techniques for adjusting to these changes to ensure the driver’s own safety and that of others on the road. During the course, participants learn about current rules of the road and how to operate their vehicles more safely in today’s increasingly challenging driving environment. Topics include:
- Maintaining proper following distance
- Minimizing the effect of dangerous blind spots
- Limiting driver distractions such as eating, smoking, and cell phone use
- Properly using safety belts, air bags, and all car features
- Effects of medications on driving
- Maintaining physical flexibility
- Monitoring the driving skills and capabilities of yourself and others